Wednesday, September 11, 2013

If Not Now, When?


There's nothing like a few rapid-fire epiphanies.

I was sitting on the couch, popping candy into my mouth and watching junk TV, when a series of epiphanies roiled through me. The first one? I have choice.

Let's do that again:

I HAVE CHOICE


http://thesecret.tv/I hear a lot of self-help and women's empowerment people speaking of "co-creating" and being a "co-creator". Normally, I roll my eyes a little. It sounds a little too much like "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne, which I--in times of skepticism--feel is little more than confirmation of types of confirmation bias. In other words, your life comes out more positively when you think positively because you only accept the data when that happens, and you reject the data when bad things happen (you assume you were "worrying" or other things).





It's the same argument as faith healing: if you were healed, you obviously had enough faith, but if you weren't, then you didn't. It's also the same argument as when you call a person a "fighter" for surviving something. It assumes that those who didn't survive weren't fighters, and of course they aren't around to argue with you, now, are they?

So, anyway, the point of this mini-diatribe is that the whole terminology of "Co-creator" or "Co-equal" always seemed a little Far Out/New Agey for me.

But there I was, sitting on the couch, eating something that I had sworn off eating several weeks ago, and I thought. "I choose this." I choose sitting on the couch right now. I choose stuffing this food item in my mouth. (Of course, did I put the item down? No. But hang in there a minute.)

I am choosing, right now, to be fat and unhealthy. I am choosing to waste my time on junk TV. I am choosing to harm my body with this candy. I can choose right now to be healthier. I can choose to get up and do push-ups. I can choose to exercise. I can choose to learn something new, or work on my websites, or go take a shower.

Note the verb-tense change: I went from "I am choosing" to "I can choose."

Immediately I wanted to find a silicone bracelet that said "choose", or even, "I choose". If I ever get one made up, I'll offer it here. But, if you've noticed, I led myself completely off the subject of taking responsibility for my actions in the moment. I was thinking, planning, hypothesizing of the future, not the now. I was still eating the candy and sitting on the couch, still half-watching trash TV.  I caught myself doing this and decided to try doing a real push-up instead. It was funny. That was the second epiphany:

Choice is now


The agency of choice is in the now. Either you are choosing something, or you are not choosing (choosing its opposite, unchoosing).

But this always happens right now: You can't really choose something in the future, because you are unchoosing it for now.

It goes along with mindfulness: the moment is mine. This minute, this hour, is completely under my control. It ties with the Seven Habits, too: I can control my response. It's also the basis for having an internal locus of control, and thus having increased confidence, success, and a bajillion other good things.

The third epiphany happened a little later. I was still watching Junk TV, and came across a show on Preppers. I love preppers. I am an intellectual prepper: I don't do anything about it, but I love to think about it. I'm also an armchair prepper: I think about what all the preppers are doing wrong.

So, my most comment lament  of preppers is that so few of them are living NOW the way they plan to live after the Shit Hits The Fan (SHTF)--yes, that's a real term.

Some people can foods for future catastrophes. Some people save seeds. Most have bug-out shelters and plans to get to their safe place when SHTF.

So, are they learning to cook with canned ingredients? Are they living in those bunkers now? What good are seeds unless SHTF when you can plant them and you don't need the food right away? I mean, plants take months to grow. Even leaf lettuce takes several weeks to get to a good size, and then, if you don't plant several weeks' worth at a time, you're out of lettuce for another several weeks.

I am a proponent of living a simpler life, of recycling more, of recognizing the bounty around us, of eating wild foods, of ten million other things that are all good and green and right.

but how many of them am I doing right now?!?

Like the preppers, I am failing big time on an important thing:

Live now the way you intend to live in the future, otherwise the future life will never happen.


So, if I want to eat wild foods in the future, I need to start eating them now. If I want to snare rabbits in the future, I should be snaring them now. If I want to make my own clothes in the future, I should make them now.

Of course, there are some limitations. I live in a suburb, and people are going to go a little nuts if I start poaching rabbits, or if I put a hutch on my patio and start slaughtering the beasties.  A lot of the plants nearby are contaminated with industrial fertilizers and pesticides, so I need to get my wild plants from the open space areas, and then I need to be careful I don't deplete any species.

But notice my verb tenses again: "I need to" , not "I am [doing]".

And that brings us to the fourth epiphany:

Healthful, balanced living is simple, but it's not easy.

And that's the real secret, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! We will post as soon as possible.