Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Diabesity-Kicking the Addiction to Sugar

I went to the doctor for a check-up. When I was a kid, my mother was a diabetic clinician--she helped people learn to care for their diabetes, and especially their feet.

So I know a thing or two about diabetes. I know that symptoms in women include yeast infection and bacterial overgrowths. . . In short, kitty issues. Itchiness, extra lube when it's not called for, suddenly smelling different (although not always bad, just different).

I knew that excessive thirst and hunger (with or without unexplained weight loss), can be a sign that your body isn't processing sugar effectively.

And, of course, I knew my weight was going to push me over the edge eventually.

So as soon as the Doc said that we needed to get fasting sugar, A1C, and triglycerides (fats in the blood), I knew where we were going: Pre-diabetes.

I also know that, whatever the tests say, I'm already there.

And I've known for a long time. I dropped 10% of my body weight, and I'm still having issues as soon as my weight loss levels out. If I'm not constantly losing, I'm having trouble: I'm hungry all the time. I hurt. I get intensely thirsty out of nowhere. I "go" more than 8 times a day. My eyes are having issues, I'm noticing burst blood vessels in my legs and spider veins (blood pressure rising).

The doctors used to say I was the healthiest obese person they had ever seen. They don't say that anymore.

So, the only way out is to kick my last physical addiction: sugar.

I love sugar. I can literally eat it plain. I love crunching sugar crystals between my teeth. I love the melty kinds of sugar (but not cotton candy, for unknown reasons). I especially love sugar with a citrus flavor: Skittles, Smarties, Starburst. I love chocolate. Candy bars, brownies, fudge. I love ice cream.

So, since staring that gloomy reality in the face, I've cut out sugar. I've also had to cut out Aspartame, because it's been giving me wicked ocular migraines.

Do you know that black tea is disgusting without sugar? At least, it is the first three or four glasses. Then something strange happens, and it tastes very refreshing.  And yogurt tastes like sour cream, or cream cheese. I never knew that. Yogurt has always been a desert for me. It's terrific with a few berries crushed up in it, but it takes a minute to get used to it.

I have also eaten more beans than I know what to do with. I have gotten black rice, and have no idea how to cook it (thank you, internet,  you'll be my best friend when I figure out what I'm eating you with).

And vegetables. Vegetables everywhere.

I found out last night that my craving for dessert is generally a craving for food. If I eat a vegetarian meal, I don't really need the dessert. What my body has been telling me is that I'm not getting enough calories in the day. Part of that is "duh",  because I'm losing weight again, but part of it is a complete revelation. If I eat enough, then I don't crave the sweets so badly. Yes, I still want something sweet to "finish off" the meal, but I'm perfectly happy with 5 Concord grapes.

I had to stop snacking.

As much as I would vehemently deny it, I ate all day long. Sometimes good stuff, sometimes bad stuff, but all day long. Every two hours or even more often.  Right before a meal, right after a meal. I still have snacks, but they are planned out, and they involve healthy fat, healthy protein, and a small amount of slow-absorbing carb.

Eventually I may kick the dairy, but right now it makes me happy. I'm sticking to live-culture yogurt and aged cheese, which have less lactose. If I really want to be "bad", I get a tiny Ben and Jerry's--a mini cup, they run about a $1.00. So far it's not having a negative impact.

Silver Lining

The plus side to all of this is that I feel great. I feel like I could run across the country like Forest Gump. Yes, I still need my sleep, and sometimes I still get a little cranky, if it's been a while since I've eaten, but I'm not hungry all the time (!) and I can actually take a break from eating sometimes and focus on other things.

I have energy.

My sight is sharper.

I'm more excited.

I feel less depressed.

And, as I lose weight (rapidly, as anyone who has gone on a relatively low-carb diet can tell you), I love seeing the changes in my jaw line.

I would recommend it to anyone: it really only takes about three or four days for the cravings to mostly disappear. Everything tastes different, but good. It's an amazing way to live.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! We will post as soon as possible.